Substation Physical Designer
ASSET Engineering is currently seeking a Substation Physical Designer in Central Mississippi.
As a member of a project team, the Substation Physical Designer performs routine design assignments, which require knowledge and skill in basic design techniques and procedures, under limited supervision. Knowledge of physical substation layout and electrical or civil fundamentals is required. Designers are responsible for preparing technical documents of electrical installations related to power industry projects. Projects require drawings that will be used for construction purposes. Drafting will comprise a large portion of job responsibilities.
Flexibility is available for a hybrid work environment (employee will need to live within driving distance of the main office).
- Produce new drawings from examples of previous project and/or standards
- Ability to produce applicable drawings from rough sketches, notes, client examples, vendor drawings, and such
- Work with engineers to develop drawing packages
- Research information in catalogues, specifications, corporate standards, or other reference material
- Perform the detailed Physical design of medium to high voltage substations based on specified requirements. Typical designs include but are not limited to: One-line diagrams, substation general arrangement plans, sections, elevations, and details (developed from one-line electrical drawing), control building layout and detail, cable and conduit plans and details, calculate cable lengths, conduit fill, or other basic tasks, ground grid plans and details, lightning protection design and details, yard lighting design and details, equipment and material selection, create Substation Bill of Materials, including manufacturer part numbers, quantities, footage, etc.
- Coordinate designs with other disciplines such as Substation Protection & Control, Structural, and Civil
- Take personal responsibility for the quality and accuracy of his/her work
- Participate in quality assurance and quality control programs
- Complete work in pre-defined times to meet proposal and project schedules
- Contribute to engineering project scheduling and budget management
- Other duties as required
Minimum Qualifications / Experience:
- A minimum of five years experience in physical substation design, or related experience, is required
- Associates Degree in Drafting or Electrical Design is preferred
- Minimum 3-year experience in AutoCAD software
- Strong knowledge of the major components of substations and the types of drawings required to construct an electrical substation
- Strong knowledge physical substation layout, elevations, grounding, foundations, and conduit
- General knowledge of control circuits and ground grid theory & design
- Strong knowledge and proven experience creating the bill of materials as it relates to a substation
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft office products including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Mathematics, including algebra and basic trigonometry
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills to effectively convey information to team members, management and clients when necessary
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- High attention to details
- Negative drug test results and background check results satisfactory to ASSET
- Authorization to work permanently in the US without the need for work sponsorship
Desired Qualifications / Experience:
- Three (3) or more years of experience in electric utility substation design is preferred
- Experience in Bentley/MicroStation and/or AutoCAD Raster preferred
- Experience with Civil designs preferred
- Strong knowledge of civil/structural codes and standards (NESC, and applicable IEEE, ANSI, AISC, and ACI) is a plus
- Ability to produce steel drawings is a plus
- Experience in AUTOCAD Substation 3D preferred
- Ability to select materials based on technical requirements
ASSET Engineering is a rapidly growing consulting firm anchored by veteran power system design leaders and a growing team of engineers. We offer an excellent compensation package including medical, dental, vision, accident, and life insurance for all regular full-time employees, subsidy for employee family coverage, flexible spending account, educational assistance program, simple IRA plan, company financial performance, and individual contribution incentive plan and an array of other company perks.
How to Apply
Simply email us, at email@example.com with a cover letter and your resume. Please include the position you are applying for in the email subject line. References are not required, but are welcomed.